Folic acid, known as folate in its natural form, is one of the B-group vitamins.
Good sources of folate
Certain foods are very high in folate:
- Leafy vegetables such as spinach, asparagus, turnip greens
- Legumes such as dried or fresh beans, peas and lentils
- Egg yolks.
- Baker’s yeast
- Fortified grain products (pasta, cereal, bread); some breakfast cereals (ready-to-eat and others) are fortified with 25% to 100% of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for folic acid
- Sunflower seeds
- Liver and liver products contain high amounts of folate
- Certain fruits (orange juice, canned pineapple juice, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, grapefruit juice, banana, raspberry, grapefruit and strawberry) and vegetables (beets, corn, tomato juice, vegetable juice, broccoli, brussels sprouts, romaine lettuce and bok choy),beer.